Proposal 2 - 100 Word Summary
You can find the 100-word summary of Proposal 2 that will appear on the November 6, 2018 ballot below:
A PROPOSED CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT TO ESTABLISH A COMMISSION OF CITIZENS WITH EXCLUSIVE AUTHORITY TO ADOPT DISTRICT BOUNDARIES FOR THE MICHIGAN SENATE, MICHIGAN HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND U.S. CONGRESS, EVERY 10 YEARS
This proposed constitutional amendment would:
Create a commission of 13 registered voters randomly selected by the Secretary of State:
- 4 each who self-identify as affiliated with the 2 major political parties; and
- 5 who self-identify as unaffiliated with major political parties.
- Prohibit partisan officeholders and candidates, their employees, certain relatives, and lobbyists from serving as commissioners.
- Establish new redistricting criteria including geographically compact and contiguous districts of equal population, reflecting Michigan’s diverse population and communities of interest. Districts shall not provide disproportionate advantage to political parties or candidates.
- Require an appropriation of funds for commission operations and commissioner compensation.
Should this proposal be adopted?
[ ] YES
[ ] NO
Voters Not Politicians Constitutional Amendment Language
You can request Voters Not Politicians' proposed initiative petition language from the Bureau of Elections through the Freedom of Information Act. To request a copy of this language, please contact or visit the Bureau of Elections:
Office location: 430 W Allegan St, Lansing, MI 48933
The Bureau of Elections is located on the first floor of the Richard H. Austin Building (formerly the Treasury Building)
For your convenience, you can view a copy of the language below or download it here.