Job Description - Project Manager, Implementation Program
On November 6, 2018, Michigan voters passed Proposal 2, a constitutional amendment to establish an Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission in the state of Michigan (“Redistricting Reform Amendment,” or “amendment,” formerly known as Proposal 2). Voters Not Politicians (VNP), the grassroots organization behind Proposal 2, now seeks a full-time project manager to organize and manage VNP’s efforts to ensure the amendment’s successful implementation.
Reports to: Executive Director
Voters Not Politicians views successful implementation as:
- A Commission that is diverse demographically and geographically;
- A map-drawing process that is fair, impartial and transparent;
- An inclusive process in which voters feel heard, particularly historically underrepresented and marginalized voters; and
- A process that Michiganders have confidence in regardless of their party, business, rural/urban, or other affiliations, and that restores faith in democratic institutions.
- Position Voters Not Politicians as a highly effective, nonpartisan organization that is allied and coordinated with partner organizations, where each partner supplements and reinforces the education and outreach efforts of the others around the census, redistricting, and voting access.
Leverage VNP’s policy expertise to:
- Support the Secretary of State’s office in implementing Proposal 2; and
- Build bipartisan political support.
- Mobilize Voters Not Politicians’ trained volunteer presenters to encourage citizens to apply for the Commission.
- Develop a toolkit and conduct hands-on training workshops to empower communities to provide actionable input to the Commission, i.e., maps and testimony, at public hearings.
- Serve as an example and resource for redistricting reform advocates in other states.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities of the Project Manager:
- In tandem with the Executive Director, develop and continually refine VNP’s implementation plan
- Build and manage team of staff, volunteers and consultants (“implementation team”) to execute the implementation plan
- Create and maintain a positive and supportive work environment for the implementation team that is true to VNP’s values of integrity, inclusiveness, empowerment, innovation, impartiality, and excellence
- Build a high performance culture using objectives and key results (OKRs) to track progress on a program level and for each team member including the Project Manager
- Manage budget for implementation
- Identify projects needed to meet implementation plan short- and long-term goals
- Develop detailed project plans to be shared with funders and other stakeholders
- Develop spreadsheets, diagrams and process maps to document needs
- Ensure resource availability and allocation
- Ensure that projects are completed on-time, within scope and within budget
- Manage changes to scope, schedule and costs of any project(s) necessary to meet short- and long-term goals and financial constraints
- Report and escalate to the Executive Director as needed
- Perform risk management to minimize project risks
- Establish and maintain relationships with third parties/vendors as needed
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- Use and continually develop leadership skills
- 5+ years experience in project management
- Great attitude and a pleasure to work with
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Strong working knowledge of Trello, Asana, and document sharing tools
- Fastidious attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse partners
- Ability to work irregular hours and travel as needed
- Experience with managing volunteers or in a political campaign setting is a plus
- $48,000 annually + benefits
If interested, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter that describes the systems you have developed and used to manage projects and teams,
- A resume, and
- The contact information of three references, ideally supervisors with personal knowledge of your project management skills and experience.
We look forward to hearing from you!